Of all the pests out there, one is considered the number one nuisance in America—and you might be surprised at what it is. No, it’s not bed bugs, cockroaches, or rodents. It’s ants. Believe it or not, an ant infestation can be a huge nuisance.
If you’ve ever had an ant infestation in your home, then you know how difficult it is to figure out where they are coming from and how to get rid of them. This is why the first thing you need to do if you notice ants in your home is to schedule a pest inspection. A pest inspection will determine whether you have an ant problem and, if you do, how you can solve it.
The Nuisance of Ants—Get a Pest Inspection
Ants may seem harmless outside your home—and for the most part, they don’t cause great harm inside your home, either. However, there are exceptions, and there are reasons why you don’t want them in your home. The following are some of the reasons why ants can be such a nuisance:
- They show up in large numbers. Ant infestations could be called ant invasions. You’ll notice large groups of ants or even columns of ants marching through your home if you’ve got an ant problem. The presence of one or two ants may not bother you, but an army of ants will not put you at ease.
- Ants can cause allergies. Some ants, such as Pharaoh ants, can cause asthmatic reactions and allergies. If anyone in your home has respiratory problems, the presence of Pharaoh ants can be especially problematic. Pharaoh ants are typically found near water, such as in the bathroom or kitchen.
- Some ants can bite or sting. Some ants, such as red ants, can bite and sting.
- Some ants can spread disease. Although this is more of an issue in developing countries, there are ants that carry disease-causing organisms, such as salmonella and E. coli, which can infect your food if they get into it.
- Some ants can be destructive. Most ants are just looking for food and water, but some species of ants can be destructive. For example, some species can get into your home’s wiring, which can cause it to short circuit. Some ants, like carpenter ants, will burrow through wood to make their nests and could potentially cause significant structural damage.
Preventing an Ant Nuisance
Once you have an ant problem, it’s going to be nearly impossible to solve it on your own. You’ll need to schedule a professional pest inspection to figure out where they are coming from since they can enter a home through even the smallest cracks. However, there are a number of things you can do to prevent a potential ant infestation, including:
- Always putting your food away
- Keeping the kitchen counters and floors clean
- Fixing any leaks to reduce moisture in and around the home
- Trimming the branches, bushes, and plants near your foundation
- Stacking firewood away from your exterior walls
- Sealing gaps around your vents and utility lines
If you think that you have an ant problem, be sure to schedule a pest inspection today by contacting us at Bain Pest Control Service. Our pest management professionals have the training and experience required to identify the source of your ant problem with a pest inspection, determine what pest management techniques should be implemented, and figure out what prevention methods will work best for your situation.