Whether you think there’s just one rodent crawling around in your attic (or throughout your house) or multiple rodents, it’s important that you schedule rodent control in your Lowell home or business as soon as possible to take care of the problem. Attempting to get rid of your rodent problem on your own using store-bought traps or other methods is typically not a good idea. The following are five reasons why you should hire a pest management professional to deal with your rodent problem instead of going at it yourself:
1. The Rodents May Be Multiplying
Just because you think that there’s only one rat or mouse causing trouble in your home does not mean that there aren’t more. Even if you only hear one at night or barely see the signs of one, there could be a nest of rats or mice being tended to somewhere in your basement or attic that you don’t know about.
In fact, the longer you go without having your home professionally inspected and treated for rodents, the more likely that rodent offspring will be produced. When this happens, you’re going to have a full-blown rodent infestation on your hands, which is going to take a lot more work to take care of, and which you most certainly will not be able to handle on your own.
A pest management professional may be able to address your rodent problem before they can begin producing offspring. If they’ve already produced offspring, they will be able to identify where the nest is and safely remove it from your property.
2. The Longer You Wait, the More Damage Rodents Can Cause
Mice and rats may not seem like they can cause that much damage, but they are much more than just a nuisance. If you keep putting off scheduling rodent control in your Lowell home or business, then odds are the rodents will keeping doing greater and greater damage. The following are some of the ways that rodents can damage your home if they aren’t taken care of as soon as possible:
- They can damage your furniture – Rats and mice have sharp teeth and will chew through the upholstery on your furniture if given the chance. Rodents do this in order to keep their teeth filed down as their front incisors never stop growing.
- They can damage your insulation – Rats and mice will often burrow into the insulation in your attic, where they will often build their nests. When this happens, your insulation will become less effective and will need to be replaced.
- They can damage your wiring – In addition to chewing through insulation and upholstery, rodents have been known to chew through electrical wiring as well. Not only can it be costly to have your wiring repaired, damaged wiring can affect the function of your home. Not to mention that damaged wiring can result in a serious fire risk due to short circuits.
- They can damage various possessions – Mice and rats can not only gnaw through many of your possessions, they can cause damage by urinating or defecating on valuable possessions as well.
- They can carry fleas, mites, and ticks- Rodents can come with pets of their own, leading to an exponentially greater pest control problem.
- They can contaminate food supplies and spoil gardens- Rodents might not appreciate your cooking and gardening abilities, but they’ll definitely take advantage of the food sources you’re cultivating. Along these lines, rodents contribute to millions of dollars of crop loss in the US each year.
The damage that rodents can cause throughout your home is no joke, which is why you need to take care of your rodent problem as soon as you think you have one.
3. You Increase Your Risk of Exposure to Disease
Rodents are known for carrying a number of different diseases, including Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome, Plague, Rat Bite Fever, Salmonellosis, Tularemia, Leptospirosis, tape worms, and more. These diseases can be spread through urine, feces, and saliva. If you have children or pets, they will potentially be exposed to such diseases if the rodents in your home leave feces and urine behind, which they most likely will.
You may also risk exposure to such diseases if you attempt to remove any rodents you’ve caught in store-bought traps. The best way to avoid exposure is to leave your rodent problem to the professionals.
4. Pest Management Professionals Will Do a More Thorough Job
There are a few ways that you can trap mice on your own, but they aren’t very effective. With professional rodent control in your Lowell home or business, you can rely on pest management professionals to do a thorough inspection throughout your entire home in order to identify just how bad your rodent problem is. They will then determine the best course of action based on the extent of your rodent problem to ensure that all rodents are controlled properly.
5. Pest Management Professionals Will Take Preventative Measures
Even if you manage to get rid of your rodent problem on your own, odds are you’ll end up experiencing another rodent problem sometime in the near future. This is because the source of the problem hasn’t been addressed. A professional rodent management service will do a thorough sweep of your home in order to identify any potential points of entry, such as small cracks near the foundation of your home. They will identify these access points to help prevent further rodent problems from occurring in the future.
These are five reasons why you shouldn’t put off hiring a rodent control service, and why you should leave rodent control in your Lowell home or business to a pest management professional — instead of attempting to get rid of the problem yourself. To schedule an appointment for a rodent control service in Lowell, be sure to contact us at Bain Pest Control Service today.